The Global Museum on Communism (GMOC) is committed to protecting the personal information that you provide to us when using our Web site.
Occasionally, changes in the technology, functionality, or content we provide on our Web site may require us to revise policies and practices set forth on this page. We encourage our visitors to return to this page to learn about any changes we have made. Any information that you submit after a change will be subject to the new provisions.
- Information Collected and Use of Data
- Third-Party Disclosures
- Access to Account Information
- Opt-Out Options
Information Collected and Use of Data
We collect two types of user data: 1) anonymous data that is automatically collected from all visitors to our site and 2) personally identifiable data that you voluntarily submit to us (Personal Data).
We will occasionally provide an online program for children. When children participate in such a program they may be required to provide their personal information, which will be stored in our database. We will use this information to contact them for the purposes of the program and to notify them of any other programs for children that we may offer at another time. It is our policy not to request or accept donations from anyone under 18.
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the Web site, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors — to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. This information does not identify you personally. We collect the following information:
- The Internet domain (for example, “xcompany.com” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourschool.edu” if you connect from a university’s domain) and the Internet Protocol (IP) address (the unique numerical expression of the domain from which your computer operates and the computer that you are using; you cannot be personally identified by this number) from which you access our Web site
- The types of browser and operating systems used to access our site
- The dates and times our site is accessed
- The pages visited
- The number of accesses to each page
- If users linked to the GMOC Web site from another Web site, the address of that Web site
The type of information we may collect includes: name, postal address, e-mail address; preferences for types of information of interest; name, address or e-mail address of friend to whom you wish us to send information, tribute gift, or gift membership; and similar information. A specific type of Personal Data that may be collected is Financial Information, as further described below.
Personal Data may be collected when you:
- Join or renew your membership with GMOC
- Make a tribute or gift membership
- Make a contribution to the Museum
- Sign up for our e-mail network or one of our e-newsletters
- Send correspondence to our webmaster or other GMOC staff member
- Order items available from GMOC
- Participate in one of our online surveys
- Make a donation to the GMOC collection
- Post a comment to our Web site
If you choose to provide us with personal information, we may use that information to:
- Respond to your message
- Help us get you the information you have requested
- Provide you the requested service
- Allow you to select or change user preferences
- Confirm your contribution
- Send you tax-deductible receipts
- Personalize the content you see based on the activities and choices you have made
If you decide to give us personal information on our Web site, by phone, or by mail, you may be contacted by GMOC with the option to receive mail or e-mail. For example, if you do one of the activities on our Web site such as post a comment, you may be given the option to subscribe to our e-newsletters. You will always be given the option to decline.
Donors who have contacted the GMOC via email and/or provided the GMOC with an email address will receive the GMOC general news e-newsletter. If you wish to decline this benefit, please follow the opt-out options noted below.
Our site has public forums such as message boards. Please remember that any information (comments, photos, sounds) posted on these areas becomes public information. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal information.
Financial Information is personally identifiable data you submit that may include the amount of a gift or payment, preferred payment method, a credit card number, debit tracking number, or other information required to complete a financial transaction. The GMOC will not disclose financial information except as necessary to fulfill the donation or order request. The GMOC collects such financial information in a secure manner and discards such information after processing is complete. The GMOC employs error-checking procedures to make certain transactions are processed in an accurate, complete, and timely manner. Independent internal and external audits are conducted to ensure the privacy, security, and appropriateness of these transactions.